Saturday, May 5, 2012

Curse this Texas heat

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be a Texan and I love my state, but 90 degrees is just plain hot. (Yes, not as hot as it could be, but still hot!) Especially if you have a 1 month old baby and are trying to get out of the house periodically to run errands or just to get out and try to avoid going insane or postpartum depression. Well, due to this heat, (and our cars crappy AC) our Sweet-Pea has been sweating a lot! This has resulted in a heat/sweat rash (along with the normal baby acne) and while as of right now, it doesn't seem to really bother her, it's not fun to see my sweet baby's face all splotchy and rough not to mention I'd like to keep it from getting worse. Some things I've found that help so far are:
Dr. Smith's diaper cream, this stuff really is amazing. Sweet-Pea has pretty sensitive skin, like mostly ever baby, so she's pretty prone to diaper rash that seems to cause her a lot of pain, but this cream helps it almost immediately. Since the heat rash is caused by moisture just like diaper rash, the cream helps not only heal it, but helps prevent it since it locks out the moisture.
Lanolin, yes the nipple cream. Now, this won't help prevent it, it just helps moisturize the dry skin caused by the rash.
We've also been told by a few people that cornstarch helps a lot too since it keeps skin dry like baby powder but won't irritate sensitive skin like a lot of scented things do. I personally have not tried this yet but if/when I do, I'll post about it. In the meantime, if anyone has done this, let me know how it worked.  

No comments:

Post a Comment